Skip to main content

All I needed to learn in life I learned from Tribal Bellydance

Well, I figure an update is long overdue. So here is what's new and exciting with me:

There were open auditions for the 'semi-pro' group at my dance studio. We have several dance troupes there, a professional, semi-pro, and a student troupe. I have danced with the student troupe before, but was looking for a bit more in the areas of commitment and excellence. Imagine my excitement when they announced the auditions of the semi-pro troupe! Yippee! Here was my chance to see a dream of mine come true! There was quite a bit involved for the audition.

1.I had to write an essay as to why I wanted to join.

2.I had to prepare a solo with a prop of my choice. (I chose a sword because I feel so damn powerful with that huge scimitar in my hand, yalla!)

3.I had to dance with my instructor and another member of the pro troupe.

4.There was also a time of dancing with all the other audition-ees to fast, slow, and semi fast music.

5.I also had to perform an impromptu solo to a song I had never heard before.

During this whole audition, there were times where I was in the lead and other times where I followed. Add to this huge mix the fact that I was so nervous I simply could not get over myself!! Needless to say, it was a very LONG and exhausting day.

It took almost a week to finally hear the results and I was one of the three ladies that was chosen for the group! Yay for us! Unfortunately our joy was tempered because a couple of the ladies who tried out did not make it and were very, very devastated. I really felt so much for them because none of us were guaranteed a spot and we all gave our absolute best shot. Fortunately, I am proud to say that these ladies are of great character and have bounced back and are looking forward to next years auditions!

The dance troupe has been an intense exercise for me. Learning to intimately know these ladies and to dance with them is far more demanding than I even expected. We are a Tribal belly dance troupe, which means we are completely improvisational. There is no choreography, so we work off of cues. This entails some real practice of awareness. Watching the other dancers body language and looking for cues are very important. But it also important that you do not LOOK like you are looking for these cues. In other words no staring at the dancer's butt! :-) There are obvious reasons for this, (you might look a little silly) but there are so many subtle movements in the body, that by solely focusing on the lead dancer's hips you may actually miss the cue for the next move. Learning to watch peripherally is a very important skill to cultivate.

I think in many ways this awareness will help me in the other parts of my journey of life. Learning to not stare intently at situations that come up, so as not to miss the subtle cues of change. Keeping a peripheral eye out for the subtlety of change without losing my awareness of the present moment. Having my opportunity to lead and to follow. Learning that a good life is not just about the fast and jumpy songs, but also about the slow, darker, even slithery songs. These important times provide balance, rest, rejuvenation and an intense physical and emotional release.

I am really looking forward to my time with the troupe and the ladies of the troupe. I think there will be so much to learn, and not just about dance. After all, what is life, but a spiral dance, and what is tribal belly dance but a wonderful metaphor
for life.


Bookmark and Share

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year, New Look

Happy New Year to all my family, friends and random readers! I hope that 2013 has been gentler to you than it has been to me, although, in spite of the tumult around me, I am faring well. I will get into a bit more detail in later posts. Suffice it to say I am living a bit of a country song right now, but since I am a fan of country music, I know that as long as I keep a hopping fiddle tune in my head and a dance in my step, I'll be golden. As you can see, I changed the picture in the header. For years I have been wanting the idyllic cottage/cabin/farmhouse somewhere in some woods. It doesn't seem like that is going to happen all too soon and so I have decided to put up a picture of my village, the place I serve. Photo By:  Jarrod Bruner                                                 There you have it folks the Philly skyline in Winter. Ain't she a beaut? My city. Every morning when I get off the train, I just get so dang happy just being there. There is an excite

Crossing the Narrow Bridge--Together

For the past nine years I have wanted to learn Breslov Chasidut with someone, anyone, near my home. As there is no vibrant Breslov community here I was pretty much tough outta luck. I continued on my not so merry way, and occasionally I would meet up with someone who would be willing to learn a little with me. I must say, those times were like a small oasis to me and I was most grateful for them but they lasted only weeks, if I was lucky. By nobody's fault the learning simply fizzled out. Well, perhaps it was someone's fault. Maybe even mine. Perhaps I just wasn't ready. Perhaps I was not committed to learning with others and sharing that learning. Perhaps I simply did not want it enough then, because this past summer I have enjoyed the sweetness of learning with a group of ladies that have become such a precious time in my week and particularly of my shabbat. It all started when I met one lady at shul (synagogue). Now allow me to preface this with just a little someth

Herbal Ally: Yarrow

Yarrow is a dear, dear friend of mine. I discovered this lovely plant on a trip to Salem, Mass. several years ago. At the time it was mostly a lot of folklore and stories, and the more I read about Yarrow, the more intrigued I was. Yarrow has a reputation for being the "Witches Herb" and I have no issues with that, considering I think 'witch' is a term that was thrown around haphazardly at any woman who was skilled in herbs, midwifery and healing. Let's just say the 'misogynistic religious right' was quite intimidated, with the herbwifes and midwives who came before us. I myself can accept the fact that if I was currently in those times, I'd have been burnt at the stake several times over by now. :::sheesh:: Yarrow is an amazing herb. Just being in her presence relaxes and calms the mind. Her gentle scent is very soothing. I personally love to pet the flowers and enjoy how each tiny flower feels of my hand. Spending time with a plant is truly the best