Skip to main content

My friend Nettle

Well, my friend Nettle and I are getting along very nicely so far. It has only been three days since I started taking this NHI (Nourishing Herbal Infusion). I have been making a quart each night and drinking it the following day. Taking an NHI appeals to me because of it is more of a whole body take on healing, healing the body from the inside out by providing nutrients, vitamins and minerals. I used to drink a green barley drink many moons ago in my fresh carrot juice. I have to tell you I enjoyed it, but since beginning this part of my journey, I am very desirous of leaving the supplement lifestyle behind and walk the road of simple whole healing and nutrition.


I felt very drawn to nettle (Urtica Dioca...sheesh I even love it's latin name), and decided to start there.
Some information regarding nettle that I have learned is:

Properties: Nutritive, astringent, diuretic and styptic. (Has anyone noticed any laxative effects? I was having some difficulty and seem to be having very normal bowel movements now. I am wondering if it is due to the nettle?)

Nutrients: Calcium, potassium, Protein (YAY!) iron, B carotene, chlorophyll (love green!), Vitamins A,C,D and K.

Benefits: Strengthens kidneys and lungs, intestines, and arteries. Restores vibrancy to the adrenal system. According to Susun Weed nettle NHI is one of her favorite anti cancer remedies. According to the Herbalist & Alchemist website nettle is also used as a venous tonic for varicose veins, capillary fragility, and excessive bruising. There are a number of ailments that nettle help with ranging from acne, to edema, to PMS to varicose veins. (Yes, I mentioned that twice because I have two legs that have more than their fair share of variscosities.)

There is much informantion on the web and many articles regarding the wonder and healign in nettle. One of my favorites is by my teacher Kiva Rose on the Anima site. You can read it by haz clic aqui! ;-)


This is a doodle I did while thinking about my lovely nettle.







Bookmark and Share

Comments

  1. Love the drawing! I am rather curious about nettle after reading so much positive feedback about her lately. I have gone searching around here and thus far have had no luck finding her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ~ Wonderful post about nettles , look forward to learning about nettles through you.

    ~ Be Blessed ~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for you comment! I look forward to reading it! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

New Year, New Look

Happy New Year to all my family, friends and random readers! I hope that 2013 has been gentler to you than it has been to me, although, in spite of the tumult around me, I am faring well. I will get into a bit more detail in later posts. Suffice it to say I am living a bit of a country song right now, but since I am a fan of country music, I know that as long as I keep a hopping fiddle tune in my head and a dance in my step, I'll be golden. As you can see, I changed the picture in the header. For years I have been wanting the idyllic cottage/cabin/farmhouse somewhere in some woods. It doesn't seem like that is going to happen all too soon and so I have decided to put up a picture of my village, the place I serve. Photo By:  Jarrod Bruner                                                 There you have it folks the Philly skyline in Winter. Ai...

All in the Day of the Life

You ever have one of those days? No, not one of  those days, one of those perfect I-am-in-my-element-and-know-who-I-am days. For some time I have been a bit sad about the fact that, although I love my job as a preschool teacher, I felt it prevented me from doing all the other cool stuff I am supposed to be doing. You know, all that Village Wise Woman-y stuff. And since I need an income, having not yet invested in my vardo so I can take it on the road, I need a job that generates said income. It reminded me of when I was a young mother and I could not so all those 'things' I wanted to do because I was raising my children, you know things like reading books, going to the bathroom by myself and the like. Always missing out. Not that I would have changed it for the world, but why couldn't I have my cake and eat it too. And why can't I now? Well, the obvious answer is I can. And the fact is, I do. This past Sunday reminded me of this truth. It was that kind of a...

Chanukah Thoughts

There are times when the darkness surrounding me seems all too much. When I dare to watch or read the news I become more than convinced that we are going to hell in a hand basket complete with rocket boosters. As far as the media and, it appears, the majority opinion is concerned, it is completely hopeless. Couple that with all the apocalyptic movies, the sensationalism of Mayan 2012 and of course let us not forget the zombie apocalypse, I am not sure why we all aren't  curled up in a fetal position in the corner rocking frantically waiting for the end to finish us. I think of darkness. Dark moonless nights. Late nights in Maine where there is no ambient light and the copious stars in the sky give me a feeling of being swallowed up completely. Even there, when the porch light is out, it is not utterly dark. I think of myself. When the dark cloud of despair covers me like a heavy, uncomfortable blanket threatening to suffocate me between my sobs. Even then, w...