Skip to main content

Full Moon+Tu b'shvat= She Who Dances With Trees

The Moon was oh so full and low in the sky when I noticed her last night. Appropriately enough,I saw here through stretching limbs of confused winter trees. Confused because many here are beginning to bud because of our very mild winter. Trees and plants beginning to wake up before their time could prove to be problematic since there is still at least 6-8 weeks of winter left and the possibilities of a harsh snowstorm are still likely. How sad it would be to lose those first buds, flowers or fruits. I began to consider today's holiday of Tu b'shvat, the New Year of Trees, and what this early awakening metaphor could mean.

People are often compared to trees and it was this comparison that caused me to think on this further. There are those of us, many of us, who may be trying to bud and bloom before we are quite ready. Or perhaps we are putting pressure on another to bud and bloom before his or her time. Every tree has their fruit according to their kind and according to their time. The sweetest and most enjoyable fruit is reaped when their fruit is ripe and the season is full. Otherwise, you are left with hard, tasteless or worse yet, bitter fruit.

Look at yourself. Are you pruning your branches too harshly? Are you cutting back that which you despise too cruelly? It's true, we do need to work on ourselves and we are always working to prune back the dead limbs so that the living may come forth. But there is such a thing as too much pruning or not pruning at the proper time. Pruning lavender in February instead of April proved devastating for me as I ending up killing a beloved lavender plant not so many years ago. Think on this, my friends.

Then look at your garden of family and friends. Is your well meaning advice simply more pruning to a tree who has already been quite brutalized? Have you carefully examined them to see if they need fertilizing and sunshine instead of more rain? Perhaps you are meant to provide shade or a filter of light for a young sapling so as not to expose it to the glaring sun before it's time. Gentle, compassionate caretakers tend to bring forth greater harvests than those who aggressive attack the landscape with harsh chemicals and pesticides. It may take longer, but the harvest gleaned will be worth the work and wait!

May we all celebrate this New Year of Trees by celebrating the Tree of Life within each and every one of us! May we grow in our proper time, not too early and too late. May we all bear fruit sweet, ripe and full! May we prune when necessary and may we flourish as a tree planted by the riverside!

Bookmark and Share

Comments

  1. A very beautiful and though provoking post. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for you comment! I look forward to reading it! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

New Year, New Look

Happy New Year to all my family, friends and random readers! I hope that 2013 has been gentler to you than it has been to me, although, in spite of the tumult around me, I am faring well. I will get into a bit more detail in later posts. Suffice it to say I am living a bit of a country song right now, but since I am a fan of country music, I know that as long as I keep a hopping fiddle tune in my head and a dance in my step, I'll be golden. As you can see, I changed the picture in the header. For years I have been wanting the idyllic cottage/cabin/farmhouse somewhere in some woods. It doesn't seem like that is going to happen all too soon and so I have decided to put up a picture of my village, the place I serve. Photo By:  Jarrod Bruner                                                 There you have it folks the Philly skyline in Winter. Ai...

All in the Day of the Life

You ever have one of those days? No, not one of  those days, one of those perfect I-am-in-my-element-and-know-who-I-am days. For some time I have been a bit sad about the fact that, although I love my job as a preschool teacher, I felt it prevented me from doing all the other cool stuff I am supposed to be doing. You know, all that Village Wise Woman-y stuff. And since I need an income, having not yet invested in my vardo so I can take it on the road, I need a job that generates said income. It reminded me of when I was a young mother and I could not so all those 'things' I wanted to do because I was raising my children, you know things like reading books, going to the bathroom by myself and the like. Always missing out. Not that I would have changed it for the world, but why couldn't I have my cake and eat it too. And why can't I now? Well, the obvious answer is I can. And the fact is, I do. This past Sunday reminded me of this truth. It was that kind of a...

Chanukah Thoughts

There are times when the darkness surrounding me seems all too much. When I dare to watch or read the news I become more than convinced that we are going to hell in a hand basket complete with rocket boosters. As far as the media and, it appears, the majority opinion is concerned, it is completely hopeless. Couple that with all the apocalyptic movies, the sensationalism of Mayan 2012 and of course let us not forget the zombie apocalypse, I am not sure why we all aren't  curled up in a fetal position in the corner rocking frantically waiting for the end to finish us. I think of darkness. Dark moonless nights. Late nights in Maine where there is no ambient light and the copious stars in the sky give me a feeling of being swallowed up completely. Even there, when the porch light is out, it is not utterly dark. I think of myself. When the dark cloud of despair covers me like a heavy, uncomfortable blanket threatening to suffocate me between my sobs. Even then, w...